Thinking of joining a club? What a good idea – it has helped thousands of people before you in terms of improving their work career and social interaction.
What do you have to do? Come along to your local Toastmasters club as a visitor. Oatley RSL Toastmasters meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month in the upstairs Board Room, 7.15 for 7.30 PM. They will make you welcome and supply a visitor’s kit chock-full of helpful information.
If you like what you see, fill out an application form to join and pay a one-off joining fee and semi-annual fee. Oatley RSL Toastmasters will then register you with Toastmasters International. This is standard procedure for all clubs world-wide.
What do you get for your money? Membership of Toastmasters International, which includes a monthly newsletter and entry into the new Pathways program which has been introduced world-wide. Twice a month at club meetings you will get to learn, practise and receive feedback on the public speaking tips you will have received, both impromptu and prepared, in an environment conducive to self-improvement. At each meeting you will have also the opportunity to participate in telling jokes.
All of this practice and feedback should help if you want to work on a particular objective: an address at work, how to write a speech, how to give a wedding speech or a eulogy, or how to ace a job interview.
What are the fees? The fee structure at Oatley RSL Toastmasters is:
Joining fee: $45 (one-off fee) plus
Annual payment: $132 (discounted for full payment in September) or
Monthly payment: $12 (for those who join October > September)
The money can be paid in cash or online:
Mortdale branch of Westpac Bank
A/c No. 70-0557
Once you have paid your fees you can be registered with Toastmasters International in the US and get started on the Pathways program.
Oatley RSL Toastmasters is a sub-club of the RSL. The subsidy it receives from the RSL in return for helping with the raffle every fifth week helps it keep its fees below those of most other clubs in New South Wales.
That’s all there is to it. Oatley RSL Toastmasters will provide you with a mentor to help both in and outside of meetings and encourage you on your Toastmasters journey.
A good tip: attend meetings regularly; volunteer for just about everything so as to get value for your fees, and observe the ‘Toastmaster’s Promise’, which is:
As a member of Toastmasters International and my club, I promise:
- To attend club meetings regularly
- To prepare all of my projects to the best of my ability, basing them on the Toastmasters education program
- To prepare for and fulfill meeting assignments
- To provide fellow members with helpful, constructive evaluations
- To help the club maintain the positive, friendly environment necessary for all members to learn and grow
- To serve my club as an officer when called upon to do so
- To treat my fellow club members and our guests with respect and courtesy
- To bring guests to club meetings so they can see the benefits Toastmasters membership offers
- To adhere to the guidelines and rules for all Toastmasters education and recognition programs
- To act within Toastmasters’ core values of integrity, respect, service and excellence during the conduct of all Toastmasters activities.
Questions? Want to know more?